Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Librarian
Librarian I or II
The University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks candidates for the position of Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Librarian. As the largest public academic research library in Massachusetts, we are a key partner in teaching, learning, and research at UMass Amherst and in the Commonwealth. By combining the latest information technology with excellent public service, the staff builds and maintains a rich information environment, facilitates access to it, and creates a place that functions as a hub of campus and community scholarly activity. The Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Librarian will provide creative leadership and management of the Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery Department (ILL/DD); supervise personnel and administer day to day activities in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment; design workflows to ensure requested materials are expeditiously obtained and delivered, and that materials required by other libraries are promptly supplied; work closely with other library units and departments to ensure a coordinated approach to services.
1. Master's degree in library science – or equivalent degree – from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or its appropriate equivalent in librarianship from another country, or have appropriate equivalent experience.
2. Knowledge of emerging technologies and their use in interlibrary loan, document delivery and distance education.
3. Familiarity copyright and fair-use practices in an academic environment.
4. Understanding of information and bibliographic systems and their application to access and user services.
5. Experience dealing with a fast-paced, constant and rapidly evolving environment while fostering and managing ambiguity, change and innovation.
6. Strong commitment to excellence in library service and the ability to interact effectively and work collaboratively with a variety of colleagues and clients.
7. High level of written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate clearly in presentations.
8. Proficiency with Microsoft office and productivity software.
9. Two years of supervisory experience.
1. Two years of professional or substantial paraprofessional ILL/DD experience in an academic, research or specialized library.
2. Experience using web-based interlibrary loan forms and statistical software.
3. Substantial reference experience and working knowledge of two modern European languages highly desirable.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH ADVERTISED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
APPLICATIONS: Preference will be given to applications received by September 27, 2013. Send letter of interest, résumé, and the names of three professional references, to: Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Librarian Search, Library Administrative Office, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, 154 Hicks Way, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003-9275 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Massachusetts is strongly committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. As part of a commitment to its own multicultural community, the Library seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace University initiatives and aspirations. The University of Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Last Edited: 10 September 2013