Digital Media Lab Unit Coordinator
The UMass Amherst Libraries seek a dynamic and innovative Digital Media Lab (DML) Unit Coordinator. The DML Unit Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Digital Media Lab, including supervisory guidance of all digital media production and 3D printing in the Makerbot Innovation Center. Serve as leader of the DML and act as the liaison to interested parties on campus, actively seeking out opportunities for new partnerships with university groups, and providing student media production, 3D printing, and makerspace support and programming on campus. Lead integration of library collections, services, and resources into DML operations. Support day-to-day operations of the DML 3D print services, including student staff management, printer maintenance, supply inventory, print production scheduling, and payment process. Develop and enhance 3D print production workflows and 3D print policies as needed. Oversee the maintenance, troubleshooting, and monitoring of equipment including but not limited to: MakerBot Replicators, MakerBot Replicator Mini, MakerBot 2X and MakerBot Z18 printers, and MakerBot Digitizer. Required to work some nights and weekends.
Example of Duties
- Provide leadership in management of Digital Media Lab operations and 3D printing, proactively addressing the evolving needs of a diverse mix of students and emerging curricular development, while maintaining current knowledge of trends and best practices as they impact academic libraries.
- Develop and maintain standards for the hiring, training, and performance evaluations of staff. Lead a team of staff and student employees engaged in the support and daily operations of the DML. Engage in continual assessment of services and staff performance to ensure highest quality of services and resources.
- Provide training and orientation for new staff. Monitor training and support needs for all staff in the DML, as required to meet unit goals, departmental goals, and the goals and mission of the Libraries and the university. Maintain training modules for use in a Learning Management System (LMS) or equivalent for distribution to faculty, library staff, and student employees. Advise staff in the hire and supervision of a staff of student employees in the day-to-day operations of the DML, including video/media production and 3D print production services primarily tailored to support student coursework. Oversee staff in the maintenance of a regular service schedule for patron access to services.
- Collaborate with campus Information Technology, Library Technology Services, and Learning Commons (LC) staff for cross-training opportunities. Partner with departments across the Libraries to connect DML users with library services, resources, and staff. Provide media production support and training to the university student population and community members as needed. Ensure that staff receive comprehensive training and staff development.
- Develop strategies to evolve DML services, including 3D printing, video/media production, virtual reality, and emergent technologies as discovered. Track trends by collecting and analyzing data, working with the Libraries’ assessment staff, participating in academic and industry forums, networking with professional contacts, and keeping abreast of industry news and information to inform evidence-based decisions.
- Work collaboratively and effectively in support of the Libraries’ values to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within the Libraries and the campus; attend professional development activities as assigned or required to meet departmental goals and objectives; participate in the Libraries’ assessment program by collecting, maintaining, and recording usage statistics for monthly reports as needed; and serve on internal library committees as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet department, executive area/division, and university goals and objectives.
- Understand responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery, and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrate capacity, skill, and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Work collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Technology, or related degree.
- Three years of supervisory experience as a manager of media or print services.
- Current experience with and working technical knowledge of standard operating systems and multimedia production equipment and software, including Adobe Creative Clouds (Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects), Final Cut Pro X, iMovie, Garage Band, Logic Pro X, digital video cameras, DSLR cameras, chrome-key lighting kits, and audio recording equipment. Must have demonstrated experience in media pre-production, production, and post-production workflow.
- Current experience with and working technical knowledge of Makerbot and other 3D printing/CAD software programs such as SketchUp, Autodesk Fusion 360, Autodesk 123D Design, and Tinkercad.
- Expert understanding of the 3D print production process and related software for modeling, scanning, file conversion, slicing, and evaluating files for printing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of staff and students. Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within the Libraries and the campus.
- Strong service orientation and the ability to meet the public graciously and tactfully. Strong customer service attitude and initiative.
- Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems and/or facilitate workflow. Record of developing and implementing new ideas in a complex, knowledge-creating organization.
- Ability to effectively manage staff by establishing work schedules and project priorities, setting performance expectations, and promoting an exemplary customer service attitude.
- Ability to manage projects, establish and adjust priorities, set performance expectations, work under pressure, be thorough and accurate, meet deadlines and work independently in order to achieve goals, and direct work in a high-production, rapidly evolving setting. To do so, have the ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities, showing initiative and flexibility.
- Master's degree in Library/Information Science, Education, Fine Arts, or related field.
Professional Staff Salary Administration, Level 27
Please view the hiring salary range at: http://www.umass.edu/humres/psu-salary-ranges
Please apply at http://umass.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=85611and submit a letter of application, resume, and contact information (phone and email) for three professional references by July 10, 2017 for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is strongly committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, the Libraries seek an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.