On April 26, 2006, the Faculty Senate Research Library Council approved the following new policy on the assignment of carrels in the W.E.B. Du Bois Library. The Library Circulation Services Department assumed sole responsibility for the assignment of carrels.
As the number of carrels will not meet the demand, the Faculty Senate Research Library Council established a priority assignment of carrels by user and carrel (size and location) type on a semester or yearly basis. “Day use” or “unassigned” carrels have been set aside on the 7th and 10th floors for the convenience of students looking for a quiet place to study or research away from the Lower Level and 2nd and 3rd floor quiet study areas.
Priority for carrel assignment:
- Doctoral students and retired faculty.
- Masters’ students.
- Faculty, post-docs, visiting scholars, and research staff (staff should provide documentation from their supervisor to justify a carrel to facilitate research).
Timeline for carrel assignment:
August 27 – September 30
- Large (window) carrels will be assigned to two doctoral students on floors 13, 19, 22, and 25 and to two retired faculty on floors 10 and 16. Doctoral students who prefer an individual carrel will be assigned to one of the small interior carrels.
- Medium-sized carrels will be assigned to 2 masters’ students. Masters’ students who prefer an individual carrel will be assigned to one of the small interior carrels.
- Small interior carrels will be assigned to one faculty, post-doc, visiting scholar, or research staff member (with documentation from the supervisor).
In the event all carrels are assigned, a waiting list will be kept. When a carrel become available, the next person on the waiting list will be informed and will have ten days to visit Circulation Services and sign out the carrel. Contact Circulation/Reserves (5-2624 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
Policies & Procedures
- Collection Development Policy
- Camcorder Policies
- Carrel Policy
- Digital Content Criteria
- Electronic Resources Usage Policy
- E-Only Journal Policy
- Libraries Event Policy
- Food and Beverage Policy
- Intellectual Freedom Policy and Guidelines
- Interlibrary Lending Policy
- Gift Policy
- Locker Policy
- Orphan Works Guidelines
- Special Collections Policy
- Streaming Media Copyright Policy
- User Behavior Policy
- Withdrawal of Print Materials