Laptop Lending Policy
The W.E.B. Du Bois Library’s Circulation/Reserves desk provides a limited number of Apple MacBook Air and Dell Inspiron laptops for lending - exclusively for the use of UMass-Amherst students.
- Actively enrolled UMass-Amherst students may check out a laptop.
- A valid UCard is required. A second picture ID may also be requested.
- Wireless access available throughout Du Bois Library
- Upon check-out and check-in, the laptop will be checked to ensure that all components are present.
- Available on a first come, first served basis. One laptop per person. Laptops may not be reserved in advance.
- 24 hour loan
- May be renewed once online for an additional 24 hours (maximum).
- After returning a laptop, the borrower must wait at least one hour to check out another one.
- Return equipment to Circulation/Reserves Desk on the Lower Level of the Du Bois Library.
- Please return the laptop directly to a staff member at the Du Bois Circulation/Reserves Desk.
- Please do not return equipment to another service desk, a drop box or a Library book return!
- All files and work should be copied to external or online storage prior to return of laptop.
Fees and damages
- Borrowers are responsible for security and prevention of damage to equipment while it is in their possession, including loss or damage to laptop resulting from returning to a library book return drop box.
- Call (413) 545-2624 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if item is lost or damaged.
- Borrower should not leave laptop unattended for any length of time! Borrowers are responsible for any equipment that is lost, damaged or stolen.
- Borrowers are responsible for late fees and replacement costs for laptops given to a third party to return.
- Late fees are $20.00 per hour or fraction thereof - maximum overdue fine of $480.00.
- $10.00 non-refundable billing fee and $15.00 processing fee are added to all replacement bills.
- Borrowers will be billed the total replacement cost of overdue, lost or stolen laptops or related components as listed below:
|Description||Replacement cost||Description||Replacement cost|
|Dell Latitude E5450||$1,050.00||Apple Macbook Air||$1275.00|
|Nylon case||$50.00||Nylon Case||$50.00|
|Dell 65W AC adaptor||$70.00||Apple AC adaptor||$80.00|
|Power cord||$10.00||Power cord||$10.00|