How to Use the online Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan
– Even if you don’t read Japanese!
1. Click on the link to JapanKnowledge (through Databases, the library catalog, or your class guide). If you are off campus, you will be asked for your NetID/OITID.
2. Click on the Hojin login (æ³•äººã®ãŠå®¢æ§˜)button – the one with the green arrow.
3. Type the term you want to look up in English. In this case it is ronin. JapanKnowledge will automatically search the Encyclopedia of Japan as well as English-Japanese dictionaries.
4. Click on the entry you want to read. In this case I will click on entry no.2. The article will open up in a new window.
5. When you have finished reading the article, you can close it by clicking on the x on the tab or by clicking on the é–‰ã˜ã‚‹ button on the upper right hand side. You will be back at the search box for JapanKnowledge. You can either read the other related articles or search for a new term.
6. When you are finished using JapanKnowledge, please logout. It is the green arrow on the upper right hand side. We have a single user license, and even though it will time out eventually, you will be blocking other potential users.
Thank you for using the Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask me.
East Asian Studies Librarian
Last Edited: 9 October 2009