Where can I borrow a laptop?
The Du Bois Library’s Circulation/Reserves desk provides Apple MacBook Air and Dell Inspiron laptops for borrowing - exclusively for the use of UMass-Amherst students - on a first come, first served basis.
- Actively enrolled UMass-Amherst students may check out a laptop.
- A valid UMass-Amherst UCard is required. A second picture ID may also be requested.
- Wireless access available throughout Du Bois Library
- One laptop per person. Laptops may not be reserved in advance.
- 24 hour loan
- One online renewal permitted for an additional 24 hours (maximum).
- After returning a laptop, the borrower must wait at least one hour to check out another one.
- Return equipment to a staff member at the Circulation/Reserves Service Desk on the Lower Level of the Du Bois Library.
- Equipment returns due on Friday or Saturday are due back 30 minutes before the Library closes.
- Please do not return equipment to another service desk, a drop box or a Library book return!
Fees and Damages
- Borrowers are responsible for security and prevention of damage to equipment while it is in their possession, including loss or damage to laptop resulting from returning to a library book return drop box.
- Call (413) 545-2624 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if item is lost or damaged.
- Borrower should not leave laptop unattended for any length of time! Borrowers are responsible for any equipment that is lost, damaged or stolen.
- Borrowers are responsible for late fees and replacement costs for laptops given to a third party to return.
- Late fees are $20.00 per hour or fraction thereof - maximum overdue fine of $480.00.
- $10.00 non-refundable billing fee and $15.00 processing fee are added to all replacement bills.
- Borrowers will be billed the total replacement cost of overdue, lost or stolen laptops or related components as listed below:
|Total Replacement Cost - Dell Latitude E5450||$1,050.00|
|Total Replacement Cost - Apple MacBook Air||$1,275.00|
|Apple AC Power Adapter||$80.00|
|Dell 65W AC Power Adaptor||$70.00|
|Power cord only||$10.00|
|Nylon Carrying Case||$50.00|