Library Research Carrels
The application period for 2016-2017 academic year carrel assignments has concluded.
Waitlist submissions are being accepted.
Applications for annual academic year assignments are accepted between April 1- April 30 and assignments are made on a prioritized first come, first served basis.
The UMass Amherst Libraries have a limited number of assignable research carrels available in the Du Bois Library for graduate students and faculty working on research projects.
Priority for Research Carrel Assignment
- Graduate Students
- Faculty and designated visiting scholars
Duration of Research Carrel Assignment
|Doctoral students||One year with the option to renew for an additional year (maximum two-years)|
|Masters students||One year (no renewal)|
|Faculty and Visiting Scholars*||One year, renewable based on eligibility|
- Carrels are assigned to eligible applicants on a first-come, first served basis.
- Application period: April 1 - April 30 each year via online form.
- Please note: The deadline for carrel application submissions is April 30, 2016.
- Carrel assignments run from June 1 through May 31 (beginning 2016)
- Applicants are notified of new or renewed assignments via email by June 1st each year.
- Large (window) carrels will be assigned to two individuals to share.
- Small interior carrels will be assigned to one individual. That individual may opt to designate one other eligible individual to share this space. In this case, the initial assignee will be the primary occupant of record and will prevail in any dispute over the space.
- Coming soon: Beginning late summer 2016, a small number of single occupant lockable carrels will be set aside for short term (28 day, non-renewable, non-reservable) use. These key-access carrels will be made available at the Du Bois Circulation/Reserves desk for 28 day key checkout on a first come first served basis as availability permits.
Note: A limited number of open day-use study carrels are available on the 7th and 10th floors of the DuBois tower on a first-come, first-served basis.