Library Research Carrels
The UMass Amherst Libraries have a limited number of assignable research carrels available in the Du Bois Library for graduate students, faculty and authorized visiting scholars.
Applications for academic year Research Carrel assignments are accepted between April 1- April 30.
The application period for 2017-2018 Academic Year assignments has concluded.
Wait List submissions are still being accepted for a limited time.
Priority for Research Carrel Assignment
- Graduate Students
- Faculty and designated visiting scholars
Duration of Research Carrel Assignment
|Doctoral students||One year with the option to renew for one additional year (maximum two-years)|
|Masters students||One year (no renewal)|
|Faculty and Visiting Scholars*||One year, renewable based on eligibility and availability|
- Carrels are assigned to eligible applicants on a first-come, first served basis.
- Application period: April 1 - April 30 each year via online form.
- Please note: The deadline for 2017-2018 academic year carrel applications is April 30, 2017.
- Carrel assignments run from July 1 through May 31
- Applicants are notified of new or renewed assignments via email during May and June of each year.
- Large (window) carrels will be assigned to two individuals to share.
- Small interior carrels will be assigned to one individual. That individual may opt to designate one other eligible individual to share this space. In this case, the initial assignee will be the primary occupant of record and will prevail in any dispute over the space.
- A limited number of single occupant lockable carrels are set aside for UMass-Amherst graduate students for short term (28 day, non-renewable, non-reservable) use. Inquire at the Du Bois Circulation/Reserves desk or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for 28-day one time assignment on a first come first served basis as availability permits.
Note: A limited number of open day-use study carrels are available on the 7th and 10th floors of the DuBois tower on a first-come, first-served basis.