» Scholarly Communication
» About the Scholarly Communication Office
About the Scholarly Communication Office
"Scholarly Communication" is a term used to describe the ways that academics, researchers, scholars, and teachers share information, through publications and teaching.
At the University of Massachusetts, the W.E.B. Du Bois Library provides numerous services related to scholarly communication, including:
- providing access to your work through the institutional repository, ScholarWorks
- consultation on publication issues -- author's rights, fair use of included materials, licensing and assignment of your research and publication
- education about open access and scholarly communication
- development of open educational resources (OERs) and teaching materials
- development of conferences, journals, workshops, datasets, and other scholarly communication
The Office of Scholarly Communication is the administrative unit coordinating these services. Staff include:
- Marilyn Billings, Scholarly Communication & Special Initiatives Librarian. mbillings at library.umass.edu
- Elizabeth Loving, Scholarly Communications Assistant. eloving at library.umass.edu
- Laura Quilter, J.D., M.L.S. - Copyright and Information Policy Librarian. lquilter at library.umass.edu
- Charlotte Roh, Scholarly Communication Resident Librarian. charlotteroh at library.umass.edu Charlotte Roh has a background in academic publishing and recently acquired her MLIS from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She holds publishing consulting office hours in the Graduate School and by appointment, and manages the campus institutional repository, ScholarWork@UMass Amherst.
The Office works with other groups within the library to coordinate services, including the Scholarly Communication Team
, the Teaching Commons Programming Team (TCPT)
, and the Digital Strategies Working Group
. Members of these groups include:
- Jessica Adamick, Assistant to the Associate Director for Library Services
- Meghan Banach-Bergin, Bibliographic Access & Metadata Coordinator
- Sarah Hutton, Head Undergraduate Teaching and Learning Services
- Brian Shelburne, Head, Image Collection Library
- Scott Stangroom, Coordinator, Acquisitions Department
- Digital Strategies Coordinator
- Blake Spitz, Science Librarian for the Center for Hierarchical Manufacturing
- Coordinator of Digital Curriculum, Reserves & Media
See also the History of Scholarly Communication at UMass (LibGuide).
Not sure who to contact? The Digital Scholarship & Consultation Services will connect you with scholarly communication, copyright, data management, preservation, ereserves, and other library services.
Last Edited: 7 July 2014