Special Collections & University Archives University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries

Enfield (Mass.) Congregational Church

Enfield Congregational Church Records, 1800-1939.
1 box (0.75 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 011

Church that served as the social and cultural center of the town of Enfield, Massachusetts. Records include deeds, charters and other legal documents, along with the church’s articles of faith and covenant, a detailed record of parish meetings, the treasurer’s account book, the parish Trustee’s account book, the church manual, a manuscript sermon of Reverend S.G. Hitchcock, the sermons of Reverend Colton, an historical sermon celebrating the town’s centennial, and church bulletins.

Historical Note

Within fifteen years of the incorporation of the town of Enfield in 1816, members of the Greenwich Congregational Church South Parish (established in 1786) reorganized to establish the Enfield Congregational Church. They applied to Enfield Constable Orum Hanks in 1831 to post a warrant for a meeting of the Enfield parish and acquired the services of Josiah Curtis and Samuel Clapp as minister and assistant minister. The land upon which the Enfield Congregational Church was built was donated by Captain Joseph Hooker, grandfather of the prominent Civil War general.

Throughout its history, the membership of the Congregational Church approached 300, about one quarter of the town’s population. The Church also served as the social and cultural center of the town and sponsored a Women’s Missionary Society. The Church went out of existence in 1939 when the town was taken for the Quabbin Reservoir. The chapel bell from the Church was installed in the New Salem Central Congregational Church in 1938.

Enfield was among the Western Massachusetts towns abolished in 1938 to allow the Swift River Valley to be flooded, thereby creating the Quabbin Reservoir to provide Boston with water.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

Deeds, charters, and other legal documents concerning church property and accounts (1800-1939); detailed minutes of parish meetings (1831-1887), the parish treasurer’s record book (1871-1916), and the parish trustees’ account book (1885-1938), including the administration of the will of Henry Fobes; articles of faith and covenant (n.d.), the church manual (1927), a manuscript sermon of Reverend S. G. Hitchcock (1848), the sermons of Rev. Colton (1873-1879), an historical sermon (1916) commemorating the celebration of Enfield’s Centennial by Reverend F.B. Richards, and church bulletins (1874-1883).


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

The collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation

Cite as: Enfield Congregational Church Records (MS 11). Special Collections and University Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst.

History of the Collection

Acquired from Donald Howe, 1960.

Processing Information

Processed by Ken Fones-Wolf, November 1984.


Additional Information

Sponsor
Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Language
English.


Contents List
Parish minutes and records (volume)
1831-1887
Box 1
Parish Treasurers book of records (volume)
1871-1916
Box 1
Trustees book (volume)
1885-1938
Box 1
Deeds, Charter, and Legal Documents
1800-1939
Box 1
Articles of Faith and Covenant
n.d.
Box 2
Manual
1927
Box 2
Sermons–Rev. S.G. Hitchcock
1848
Box 2
Sermons–Rev. Colton
1873-1879
Box 2
Sermons–Rev. F.B. Richards
1916
Box 2
Church Record
1874-1883
Box 2
Young People’s Society for Christian Endeavor
n.d.
Box 2
Subjects
  • Church bulletins--Massachusetts
  • Congregational churches--Massachusetts--Enfield
  • Congregational churches--Sermons
  • Congregationalists--Massachusetts--Enfield
  • Enfield (Mass.)--Centennial celebrations
  • Enfield (Mass.)--Church history
  • Enfield (Mass.)--Religious life and customs
  • Sermons, American--Massachusetts--Enfield
Contributors
  • Enfield Congregational Church (Enfield, Mass.)
  • Hitchcock, S. G.
  • Richards, Frederick B.
Types of material
  • Account books
  • Charters
  • Deeds
Leave a Comment

 
Special Collections and University Archives logo