AFT University of Massachusetts Faculty Records, 1963-1964. 1 Call no.: MS 152 bd
The first faculty union at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) AFL-CIO, was established largely in response to the administration’s reluctance to recommend raises in faculty salaries (1958-1964) and due to the faculty’s desire for self-governance. The union was short-lived on the campus, but served to raise the consciousness of faculty to issues of faculty autonomy. The collection includes historical sketches, memoranda, correspondence, resolutions, and treasurer’s reports.
- Collective bargaining--College teachers--Massachusetts--Amherst
- Collective labor agreements--Education, Higher--Massachusetts--Amherst
- Labor unions--Massachusetts
- University of Massachusetts Amherst--Faculty
- American Federation of Teachers. Local 1359 (Amherst, Mass.)