Special Collections & University Archives University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries

Porter, William and Eleanor

William and Eleanor Porter Papers, 1800-1809.
1 folder (0.1 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 091

The collection includes demands and receipts 1804-1809 for taxes (parish, highway, town, county, and state) on various tracts of land in Greenwich, Massachusetts owned by Dr. William and Eleanor Porter. It also includes three documents dating from 1800-1808 regarding the settling of accounts with local individuals: Ichabod [Trandell], James Mills, and Isaac Hunter, and an agreement ca. 1807 to sell pasture land to Captain West of Greenwich.

Biographical Note

Greenwich was among the Western Massachusetts towns abolished in 1938 to allow the Swift River Valley to be flooded, thereby creating the Quabbin Reservoir to provide Boston with water.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The collection includes demands and receipts (1804-1809) for taxes (parish, highway, town, county, and state) on various tracts of land in Greenwich, Massachusetts owned by Dr. William and Eleanor Porter, as well as three items (1800-1808) regarding the settling of accounts with local individuals (Ichabod Trandell [Grandall?], James Mills, and Isaac Hunter) and an agreement (1807?) to sell pasture land to Captain West of Greenwich.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

The collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation

Cite as: William and Eleanor Porter Tax Records and Accounts (MS 91). Special Collections and University Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst.

History of the Collection

Acquired from Donald Howe, 1960.

Processing Information

Processed by Linda Seidman, 1985.


Additional Information

Sponsor
Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Language
English.


Subjects
  • Greenwich (Mass.)--History--19th century
  • Quabbin Reservoir Region (Mass.)--History
Contributors
  • Porter, Eleanor
  • Porter, William
Leave a Comment

 
Special Collections and University Archives logo