Who may use the collections?
The Department of Special Collections and University Archives is open at no cost to all researchers, regardless of affiliation.
Before using the collections, researchers will be asked to register, and to provide name, institutional affiliation (when applicable), and current address. At the time of registration, researchers must present a valid form of identification including a photograph.
Reading room regulations
- First-time researchers will be asked to register upon arrival and present at least one form of valid photographic identification.
- All researchers sign in each day at the front desk.
- Only pencils and laptop computers may be used for taking notes. Personal items such as bags, computer cases, bound notebooks, and coats may be stored in secure lockers provided by the Department.
- Smoking, food, and drink are not permitted.
- Out of respect for other researchers, please keep noise to a minimum in the reading room.
- Cell phones should be switched off or set to silent mode; calls may be taken in the adjacent elevator lobby.
- Care and handling materials
- Please use care in handling manuscripts and books to prevent damage;
- Use only one box of manuscript or archival material at a time; preserve the existing order and arrangement;
- Researchers are responsible for all materials delivered to them and should immediately notify the staff of any discrepancies or problems;