Special Collections & University Archives University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries

Women’s Missionary Society of Enfield (Mass.)

Woman's Missionary Society of the Enfield Congregational Church Records, 1885-1927.
1 box (0.5 linear feet).
Call no.: MS 010

In 1885, women of the Enfield Congregational Church formed a woman’s missionary society to disseminate information on, increase interest in and raise funds for missionary work. The Society sponsored lectures with missionary workers and distributed funds to women’s missions associations and smaller, local charities. In 1927, the Society merged with similar groups in Hatfield and Northampton, Mass., forming the Hampshire County Branch of the Women’s Board of Missions.

The records of the Woman’s Missionary Society of the Enfield Congregational Church consist principally of minutes of meetings and one account book.

Historical Note

In February 1885, women of the Congregational Church in
Enfield, Massachusetts held a meeting in the chapel to form a
women’s missionary organization to diffuse missionary
intelligence, increase interest in missionary work, and raise
funds for “carrying it forward.” The first president of the
Woman’s Missionary Society was Caroline Bartlett, a long-time
Enfield resident. During the first three years of the
Society, she continued to be re-elected and built the
membership from 32 to 124. By the early 1890′s, the group
included many prominent women from the community.

The society sponsored many talks by missionaries reporting
on their work and routinely held discussions where one of the
members would lead a discussion on a recent article. In May
1887, for example, the Society hosted a Miss Kemp who taught
freedmen in Spellman, Alabama; in October 1886, Caroline
Bartlett led a discussion centered on Rev. E.C. Ewing’s
sermon, “The Perils of Immigration.”

The other activities concerned raising money for
missionary work. The Society charged $0.52 per year dues and
also passed a contribution box at the monthly meetings.
During 1926-1927, the Society raised $354 and distributed
among the Women’s Home Missions Association, the Women’s
Board of Missions, the American Missionary Association and
several smaller charities. In that same year, the Society
raised funds for sufferers from the flood of 1927.

In 1927, the Society merged with similar groups in
Hatfield and Northampton, forming the Hampshire County Branch
of the Women’s Board of Missions.

Enfield was among the Western Massachusetts towns
abolished in 1938 to allow the Swift River Valley to be
flooded, thereby creating the Quabbin Reservoir to provide
Boston with water.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The records of the Woman’s Missionary Society of the
Enfield Congregational Church consist principally of minutes
of meetings and one account book.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

The collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation

Cite as: Woman’s Missionary Society of the Enfield Congregational Church Records (MS 10). Special Collections and University Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst.

History of the Collection

Acquired from: Donald Howe, 1960

Processing Information

Processed by Ken Fones-Wolf, August 1985.


Additional Information

Sponsor
Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation.

Language
English.


Contents List
Minutes and membership
1885-1887
Box 1:v. 1
Minutes and membership
1888-1892
Box 1:v. 2
Minutes and membership
1893-1899
Box 1:v. 3
Minutes and membership
1900-1904
Box 1:v. 4
Minutes and membership
1906
Box 1:v. 5
Minutes and membership
1917-1927
Box 1:v. 6
Account Book
Subjects
  • Congregational Church (Enfield, Mass.). Woman's Missionary Society--Archives
  • Congregational churches--Massachusetts--Enfield--History
  • Enfield (Mass.)--History
  • Missions--Societies, etc.--History
  • Women in missionary work--Massachusetts--Enfield--History
  • Women--Massachusetts--Enfield--History
  • Women--Societies and clubs--History
Types of material
  • Account books
  • Minute books
Leave a Comment

 
Special Collections and University Archives logo