Bartlett Hall

Constructed: 1959-1960

Architect: Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson, and Abbot of Boston.


Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall
Bartlett Hall

Design and Construction

The first building on campus to draw on modernist design, Bartlett Hall was built on the site of the former Drill Hall in the heart of west campus. A classroom and office building, Bartlett was designed by Shepley, Bulfinch, a renowned Boston firm, and drew loosely upon Bauhaus elements of style. The areas between the vertical brick piers of the south wing are divided into smaller and smaller panels, some glazed and others painted a flat blue. The more traditional west wing, containing offices, presents a relatively plain brick front, tying it in visually to adjacent buildings. The building is currently scheduled for demolition.

Naming of the building

The building was named for Joseph W. Bartlett, who served as Trustee of Mass. State College and UMass from 1934-1960.


Sources

  • Norton, Paul F., Amherst: A Guide to Its Architecture (Amherst, 1975)
  • For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).
b/bartlett_hall.txt · Last modified: 2013/07/11 07:27 by rscox
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA