Constructed: 1914 and 1954
Architects: James H. Ritchie, Boston, Mass. 1954 renovation to Bowker Auditorium: McClintock and Craig, Inc., Springfield, Mass.
Flanked on either side by Flint Lab (left) and Draper Hall (right) and facing a central green, Stockbridge Hall and its neighboring Georgian Revival buildings were designed to evoke the feel of a New England common. In Georgian Revival style, the prominent three-bay entrance is framed by pilasters and free-standing columns and the building is graced by horizontal granite banding and a regular pattern of fenestration.
The building was a relative latecomer to a campus dedicated to the study of agriculture. Today, the Stockbridge School of Agriculture – a college within a University – is a vital reminder of the early ideals of the campus. At the central core of the building is Bowker Auditorium, which hosts a diverse array of theater, dance, and music performances as well as literary readings and lectures.
Named after Levi Stockbridge, the University's first Professor of Agriculture and its third President.