Morrill Science Center

Constructed: 1950-1966

Architects: James H. Ritchie Associates; Morris W. Maloney; Desmond and Lord


Design and construction

Morrill Science Center
Morrill Science Center
Morrill Science Center
Morrill Science Center
Morrill Science Center
Morrill Science Center
Morrill Science Center

Situated on the eastern edge of central campus, the Morrill Science Center was constructed to house teaching and research space for natural sciences departments, including Biology, Geology, Microbiology, and Zoology.

Somewhat confused in appearance, Morrill was apparently intended by the architects to harmonize both with the earlier neo-Georgian brick buildings that dominated the campus landscape and more contemporary building styles of the post-war era, but succeeded at neither. Sections of the center were constructed by three separate design firms, making for a less unified feel than other buildings: the western entranceway was designed by Ritchie Associates, the southern wing was the product of Desmond and Lord, and the wings that straddle the east-west exterior passageway are by Morris W. Maloney.

Naming of the building

Named for Justin S. Morrill, Congressman from Vermont and author of the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1858 that authorized land grant colleges.


Source

  • Norton, Paul F., Amherst: A Guide to Its Architecture (Amherst, Mass., 1975).
  • For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).
m/morrill_science_center.txt · Last modified: 2013/07/11 07:12 by rscox
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA