Pomology Shed

Constructed: 1947

Architects: Unknown


Design and construction

Pomology Shed
Pomology Shed

The Pomology Storage Shed is a one room, one level, rectangular wood structure with a shed roof. The structure is clad with novelty-board wood siding and wood corner strips. The interior is accessed via one wood batten door. Two 3/3 divided light wood sash are hinged adjacent to the door and were likely added after the structure was re-purposed from a poultry house to a storage shed.

Pomology Storage Shed

The Pomology Storage Shed is located in a historically vernacular part of the campus with cultivated land to the north and west. An oblique aerial photograph of the area from 1954 shows a service road located to the east of the building running between the building and Chenoweth Laboratory. A second road led between the Agricultural Engineering Building North and Agricultural Engineering Building South. The Shed is a re-purposed wood-frame structure, originally designed for breeding poultry. The structure is one of likely 100s originally constructed for poultry breeding experiments by the Agricultural Department and used throughout the UMass farming lands in the 1900s. The exact date of re-location or re-purposed use is unknown.


Source

p/pomology_shed.txt · Last modified: 2013/07/12 08:05 by rscox
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA