Stockbridge Hall

Constructed: 1914 and 1954

Architects: James H. Ritchie, Boston, Mass. 1954 renovation to Bowker Auditorium: McClintock and Craig, Inc., Springfield, Mass.


Design and construction

Stockbridge Hall
Stockbridge Hall
Stockbridge Hall
Bowker Auditorium, Stockbridge Hall

Flanked on either side by Flint Laboratory (left) and Draper Hall (right) and facing a central green, Stockbridge Hall and its neighboring Georgian Revival buildings were designed to evoke the feel of a New England common. In Georgian Revival style, the prominent three-bay entrance is framed by pilasters and free-standing columns and the building is graced by horizontal granite banding and a regular pattern of fenestration.

The building was a relative latecomer to a campus dedicated to the study of agriculture. Today, the Stockbridge School of Agriculture – a college within a University – is a vital reminder of the early ideals of the campus. At the central core of the building is Bowker Auditorium, which hosts a diverse array of theater, dance, and music performances as well as literary readings and lectures.

Naming of the building

Named after Levi Stockbridge, the University's first Professor of Agriculture and its third President.


Source

  • From Three Architectural Tours: Selected Buildings on the Campus of the University of Massachusetts Amherst (Amherst, 2000)
  • For additional information, consult the University Archives (RG 36/101).
s/stockbridge_hall.txt · Last modified: 2013/07/12 08:17 by rscox
UMass Amherst seal
Special Collections & University Archives :: UMass Amherst Libraries
154 Hicks Way :: UMass Amherst :: Amherst, MA 01003 | Ph.: 413.545.2780 | Contact SCUA