Library Stairwell Mural Application
If you would like to be considered to paint a mural in a Du Bois Library stairwell, please fill out the form below. The applications will be reviewed by the Library Art Committee, which will choose one mural a semester. These murals have been contributed by students since 1986. Click here for images of the murals already in place. Please take a look at these examples to get an idea of dimensions and scale.
Apply by May 1 for a mural to be completed in the summer or early in the fall semester, and by December 1 for a mural to be completed in early spring.
- Artist must be a currently enrolled student at UMass Amherst.
- Since the stairwells provide egress for the building, painting of murals should occur on weekends, between semesters or during the summer months when there is less traffic in the stairwells. Murals may not be painted during busy times, e.g. exams.
- A timeline will be set up a month in advance of the mural painting to allow for the wall to be painted (by Physical Plant staff) in advance of the mural painting. An ‘anti-graffiti’ coating will be applied after the mural is completed. Physical Plant requires two week notice for painting.
- Once the timeline is set and the mural plan approved, a list of materials will be submitted to the committee for purchase. This should include brushes and acrylic paints. Supplies for the mural will be purchased by Business Office staff.
- The mural will be installed within a 1 week period agreed upon by the Art Committee and the artist.
- The artist will contain painting to the wall and not paint the floor or stairs nearby.
- The artist will clean up the area after each session of work on the mural and will not paint any obscenities.
- Design must be original art of the artist.
- Mural areas average 11 1/2 feet wide x 9 1/2 feet tall on curved walls.
- Examples of sample images, by past muralist Toby Armstrong