Research Carrel Policy (Revised March, 2016)
The UMass Amherst Libraries have a limited number of assignable research carrels available in the Du Bois Library for graduate students and faculty.
Priority for Research Carrel Assignment
1. Graduate students
2. Faculty and designated visiting scholars
Length of Research Carrel Assignment
|Doctoral students||One year, with the option to renew for an additional year (maximum two-years)|
|Masters students||One year (no renewal)|
|Faculty and Visiting Scholars||One year, renewable based on eligibility.|
- Carrels are assigned to eligible applicants on a first-come, first served basis.
- Application period: April 1 - April 30 each year via online form.
- Carrel assignments run from July 1 through May 31.
- Applicants are notified of new or renewed assignments via email by June 1st each year.
- Large (window) carrels will be assigned to two individuals to share. Those who prefer an individual carrel will be assigned to one of the smaller interior carrels.
- Small interior carrels will be assigned to one individual. That individual may opt to designate one other eligible individual to share this space. In this case, the initial assignee will be the primary occupant of record and will prevail in any dispute over the space.
- All carrels are subject to periodic inspection by Library or University staff, and The Libraries assume no responsibility for personal property left or stored in library carrels.
A small number of short term use carrels will be made available approximately two weeks after the beginning of each semester to UMass Graduate students only for a 28 day loan (not renewable) on a first come, first serve, as available basis. Availability is limited. To inquire about the availability of one of these spaces please contact the Circulation/Reserve department on the Lower Level, or email email@example.com
Note: A limited number of open day-use study carrels are available on the 7th and 10th floors of the DuBois tower on a first-come, first-served basis.
Approved by Libraries' Senior Management Group Mar. 16, 2016
In the event all carrels are assigned, a waiting list will be kept. When a carrel becomes available, the next person on the waiting list will be informed and will have ten days to visit Circulation Services and sign out the carrel. Contact Circulation/Reserves (545-2624 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.