Obtaining Borrowing Privileges for Visiting Groups
Members of visiting student groups from Massachusetts Public Higher Education Institutions may obtain borrowing privileges by presenting a valid school ID. Massachusetts resident High School students under the age of 18 may obtain borrowing privileges by prior arrangement with written authorization from their school librarian or school administrator. Please notify us one week in advance of the group's visit so that staff may prepare library cards for student use.
For visiting groups of students to obtain borrowing cards and privileges, the group leader or instructor should complete the following steps:
- Complete and submit a Group Visit Planning Form at least one week in advance of the planned visit.
- Send a list in advance (by mail or email) of your students' names along with the group leader's contact information.
- Please send at least one week in advance of the visit.
- Email to: Circulation Services at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- An online application for Borrower's Card should be completed by each student one week in advance in order to avoid delays.
- Advance notice allows time for new borrower accounts and borrower cards to be created, so they’ll be ready upon your arrival.
- Fill out the application form.
- On the application form under Status, students should select either College/University or Secondary/High School as applicable.
- Important: Enter the sponsoring institution name in the box for School Name.
Massachusetts High School groups only - bring a letter of authorization on school letterhead:
- Include a list of students authorized for borrowing privileges. It should be signed by the High School Principal, School Librarian or authorized administrator.
- You can bring this in on the day of the visit. For group visits, one authorization letter with a list of students names will suffice.
- Please note that new borrowers are limited to one item for checkout upon their first visit, pending address verification.
Required: Each student will need to present a current Photo ID (a valid School ID will suffice) in order to pick up and use borrower cards.
For questions about borrowing privileges for student group visits please contact us at (413) 545-2624 or by email at email@example.com
We look forward to your visit!
Thomas Paige - Manager, Circulation Services
W.E.B. Du Bois Library 154 Hicks Way University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA 01003-9275