Libraries Event Policy
To promote the scholarly and cultural life of the campus community, the UMass Amherst Libraries welcome applications to hold events in our facilities. The Libraries consider requests on a first-come, first-served basis. Events must enhance the academic or cultural life of the campus community, and/or contribute to the professional development of the faculty or staff of UMass Amherst. The Director for Administrative Services reviews each request and considers the impact of the event on Library users and the ability of the Libraries to support the event in approving the request.
- Events must be booked at least three weeks in advance.
- Events will not be scheduled during reading periods, midterms, finals, or under other circumstances that might disrupt the quiet study of Library users.
- Events will normally be scheduled between the hours of 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. Monday through Thurday and 9 a.m. and 9p.m. on Friday. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The group sponsoring the event is liable for any damage to Library equipment and furnishings beyond normal wear and tear.
- Alcohol and smoking are prohibited in campus buildings.
- Food may be permitted upon special request. Groups are responsible for wiping down tables after events which have food.
- Limited audio/visual support may be provided upon special request.