Services for Graduate Students
Where do I begin my research?
- Research Guides by Subject: Not sure where to start? Try our subject guides!
- Discovery Search: Search for books, journals, videos, along with articles from some of our databases
- Research Databases A-Z: Find full-content access to journal and newspaper articles, datasets, images, and more from over 450 databases, listed by subject
- Five College Catalog: Find books, journals, videos, and more from UMass, Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mt. Holyoke College, & Smith College Libraries
Who can help me find information?
- Ask Us!: Get help by email, phone, and chat or text us
- Make An Appointment: We're happy to meet with you to help you with your work!
- Find Your Librarian: We have experts in all different subjects and topics - contact us for help!
What guides and tutorials are available to help me?
How do I manage the information I find and cite it?
- What is a Citation?
- Two commonly-used styles are APA (American Psychological Association) and MLA (Modern Language Association. Purdue University Online Writing Lab has great resources to help you with these two styles:
- How do I keep track of my research?
- You can use RefWorks or Zotero to keep track of your research and they will help you automatically create citations and bibliographies. You can even export what you find in databases into these!
- Check them out on the research guide Citation Managers!
- Refworks is free for any member of the UMass community (make an account first with your UMass Amherst email address)
- Zotero is free to the world
Where can i get help with writing?
Want to discuss your writing one-on-one with a tutor? The Writing Center can assist you with any writing project, at any stage of your writing process. The Center's well-trained peer consultants can help you to brainstorm ideas, organize content, integrate research, polish a draft, and correctly document sources. Visit the Writing Center web site to book an appointment.
Just Ask Us! We can help you receive support on completing that research assignment, navigate the vast array of digital materials available, or pick up materials that you’ve requested.