Due to the COVID-19 situation, we are not accepting poster printing appointments. Please go to: https://www.library.umass.edu for the latest updates on the situation.
About the service
- Print posters on 42" wide heavyweight, satin-finish photo paper
- Open to all
- By appointment only (view calendar/make reservation)
- Payment by UCard, Guest UCard, or Department Copy/Print Card only.
- Poster must be in one of these formats: PDF or JPEG.
(PDF conversion software is available on UMass Amherst IT workstations in the Learning Commons.)
Pricing and payment
- Posters cost $0.02 per square inch to print (2 cents per square inch).
- To calculate the price based on square inches, multiply the length of poster by the width of poster to get total square inches, then multiply square inch total by .02 Example: 36" x 48" = $34.56 (36x48 = 1728, 1728 x.02 = 34.56)
- Payment must be made using a UCard, guest UCard or Department Copy/Print Card. UCard website (check balance, create debit account, add value, more)
- Guest UCards are available for purchase from UCard Value Transfer Stations located in the Learning Commons (lower level). Guest cards can only be created with cash.
- Department Copy/Print Cards can be obtained directly from the UCard Office, using an official speedtype#. Please note that the UCard office no longer supports ProCards.
- We can create custom sizes as long as one side of your poster is between 20" and 42". Ask in advance if you have questions!
Before your appointment
- Important! The following must be done before your appointment time. Appointments are tightly scheduled.
- Plan ahead: You will be contacted within 24 hours of your request for an appointment Monday through Friday. Requests made over the weekend will be answered Monday morning. Allow extra time in the event of unforeseen delays. (In some cases, poster printing can take several hours depending on the size of the file).
- Format your file: The poster should be in PDF. Proofread everything carefully. Please convert the file to PDF BEFORE arriving for your scheduled appointment time at the LC desk. LC computers are equipped with Photoshop and PowerPoint. You should arrive at your appointment with your file edited and sized appropriately.
- Preview the converted file CAREFULLY to make sure everything is as you want it: View the file at 100% size so that you see it as it will appear printed out. Look for typos, misalignment, pixelation, stray lines or other oddities.
- Bring your file on a USB drive or have it ready to download from Google Drive or other Web-accessible storage location. Know the dimensions of your poster. (This can help cut the cost).
- Bring your UCard, Guest UCard or Department Copy/Print Card with enough money on it to pay for your job (plus a dollar or two for wiggle room).
- Plan on at least an hour. The active part of your appointment should take 15 minutes or less. Poster printing itself will take longer. Posters can be picked up any time the library is open.
- Transporting your poster: If you’d like a tube for your poster, please be sure to bring one with you. Tubes can be purchased at the University Store in the Campus Center.
- Reprints are only available in the case of equipment malfunction. You'll have a chance to look over your file one last time during your appointment.
When you arrive:
- Come to the Learning Commons Desk (lower level, W.E.B. Du Bois Library) at your appointment time. A staff person will meet you and work with you on printing your poster.
- We’ll load your file onto our workstation and review the file with you to make sure it is the correct size and format. It is up to you to make sure the file looks the way you want it before you arrive—but you’ll have an opportunity to give it one last look-over before it is printed.
- We’ll send the job from our workstation to the printer, which is located in the Learning Commons. You and an LC staff member will swipe your UCard and release the job to begin printing.
If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, or if your file is not ready to send to the printer by 15 minutes into your appointment, you may be required to reschedule you appointment.
Make an appointment:
- Go to our Appointments Page: view available appointments on the calendar; fill out the form under the calendar to request a time. Someone will get back to you to confirm your reservation within 24 hours; there is no guarantee that the appointment time you choose will be available.