The Faculty Commons is a space dedicated solely to faculty and librarians. Located on the 26th floor of the W. E. B. Du Bois Library, it is intended to be a scholarly workplace for faculty and librarians. The Faculty Commons is open and accessible to faculty and librarians all hours the W. E. B. Du Bois Library is open.
Only faculty and librarians are eligible to use the Faculty Commons.
Entry requires a valid UMass Amherst faculty or librarian UCard. Faculty or librarians who wish to access the space must submit a request via the website.
- While the space is not a quiet space, any discussion should be kept to a reasonable volume. Faculty and librarians using the Commons are expected to be considerate of their colleagues. Earplugs are available in the Commons for those who require complete silence for their work.
- Cell phone calls should not be conducted in the space. Cell phone booths are available in the Library on floors 2 and 3 and the Lower Level.
- Earphones should be used when listening to audio, at a volume that is inaudible to others.
- The Libraries are not responsible for personal items. Please do not leave them unattended.
- Be considerate of others. Avoid bringing odiferous food into the Commons. Clean up after yourself when you leave the Commons.
- Library materials left in the Commons will be removed and re-shelved daily.
Printing, Copying, and Scanning
- Faculty and librarians can send remote print jobs to the copier in the Commons. The remote print client may be downloaded and installed from the links on the right.
- The cost for printing and copying is the same as the printing and copying in the Learning Commons.
- Scanning is free of charge. Scans can be saved to personal USB drives, which can be plugged into the front of the machine.
- To report printer problems, please contact the W. E. B. Du Bois Library Information Desk 413.545.0840.
- LCD projector/pull-down screen.
- Collaborative workrooms (2 available), including 32” flat screen display and laptop connection; each room can accommodate up to 5 users.
- 2 iMac computers with dual boot capability (Windows and Mac OS platform cross-compatible).
- 2 PC computers (Dell).
- 1 photocopier/printer/scanner.
- Lockers for use by patrons of the Faculty Commons are available on a first-come, first-served basis for a semester-long term with a valid UMass faculty or librarian UCard.
- Locker keys are available at the Circulation/Reserves Desk on the Lower Level.
- Read the full usage policy here.
Emergency and personal safety
- You are required to leave the building when the fire alarm is activated.
- Report threatening behavior to the Du Bois Library Information Desk 413.545.0840.
- Emergencies: Call 911 from a campus phone or 413.545.3111 from a cell phone.