A copy of the New York Times Book Review usually arrives in Acquisitions on the Wednesday before it is to be published. We purchase all reviewed titles listed in the table of contents that are not already in our collection.
1. Photocopy contents page of the book review. Use this photocopy to cross off the titles we don’t need and then fax it to vendor when finished. Use the original to record order numbers and prices, keep for records when finished.
2. Open Aleph, OCLC, and Gobi3 on your computer, and log in to all 3 if you haven’t done so already.
3. Type title into Gobi3, find paperback edition of book, look to see if it is already on order with Yankee or was sent on approval and, if not, record price on NYT list.
Highlight ISBN in the Gobi3 record and copy it into Aleph search field. Check to see if we have the book, or if it has been ordered, etc. If there is no order for the book, then skip to Step 5. Otherwise, proceed to Step 4.
4.If there is an order for the book, then check to see who the vendor is. If it is Yankee, then cross the title off both the photocopy and the original list. You are done with this title. Go to the next title on the list and repeat step 3.
If there is an order for the book, and the vendor is NOT Yankee, then go back to Gobi3 and BLOCK all printed editions of this title in Gobi3 to be sure they don't send it automatically on approval. Make sure the book is not missing, etc. Then cross the book off both the photocopy and the original list. You are done with this title. Go to the next title on the list and repeat step 3.
If the ISBN does not appear in Aleph, then the book needs to be ordered from our local vendor, and an order record needs to be created in Aleph.
5. Copy the ISBN into OCLC to find the correct bibliographic record (use DLC copy if available) and export it into Aleph.
Order group–English (for fiction)
Acquisition method–CC (credit card order)
Vendor–code for local vendor (currently AMHBO)
Budget–NYT year (NYT-2009)
Price–use the one listed in Gobi as the price
In the library note field write whose credit card is being used (paid by JB credit card).
Record the order number next to the price on original NYT Book list.
Go back to Gobi, BLOCK all printed editions of this title in Gobi3. Now you are done with this title.
6. Repeat Steps 3, 4, and 5 with each subsequent title until the list is complete.
7. Cross off unnecessary information on the photocopy, such as “Crime”, and “Essay” etc.
8. Double-check your photocopy and original to make sure that all books that are not being ordered have been crossed off and to make sure you have order records for all the books that you do want to order.
9. Fax the photocopy, and a cover sheet, to the local vendor (currently Amherst Books).
10. File the original, with the rest of the NYT Book review, in the filing cabinet for your records in case there are questions later, etc.
Our local vendor will hand carry the books to us along with a credit card receipt for the titles supplied.